Sunday, April 11, 2010

Self-reflection on Presentation

Usually during presentations I am so focussed on what I need to say next, that I am not very aware of how I am coming across to audience; if my message is delivered. And this is probably something I need to work on. And I would not be surprised if the audience found my presentation a little too scripted. I shall trying making my presentation sound more natural. I definitely should have practiced more, as I had completely forgotten to show my last slide. I should also learn to be more spontaneous when giving my speech. If I see a person for the audience looking at me quizzically or unconvincingly, then I should be able to move away from my script and know how to explain myself, then and there, so that the audience member would understand it better.

As for my body language, I tried to use a more assertive tone (did you'll notice it?). And tried to smile a little less with the hope that the audience will take me more seriously. I thought I had a good voice projection. And I think I did not start off nervous (right?), as was one of my weaknesses highlighted in my previous presentation.

Overall though, I must say I was quite proud of our presentation.

5 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulation on your wonderful presentation!
    I like the outfits of your group, the slides of the presentation as well as diverse interesting videos you showed us during the presentation.
    And for your part, I think again you had a great voice projection, especially as a girl (I am not being bias here, I just feel sometimes girls are more likely to have soft voices). And you seemed very confident throughout. I think your serious look during the presentation is appropriate since it is a formal presentation! Although I like your smile a lot!
    I think the only thing that you may want to pay attention is that at first you were holding the script of presentation. I was quite surprised that you were holding it because you should be confident of yourself and I am sure you can think on the spot even if you forget what you are supposed to say.

    That's all I want to say! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ji Lu! Thanks for all the wonderful comments.
    You are right, I should have put my script aside, as I was not intending on refering to it either way. Silly thing I guess but when I am a little nervous my script is like my safety blanket, gives me comfort and assurance. But yes, I know that should stop. And I shall, soon.
    Thanks for pointing this out to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lalitha,

    another wonderful performance delivered and you were a real joy to watch.

    I noticed you were really serious and you justfied why in your post. However, I am not sure if looking pretty serious (for a person who is very smiley at that) was a good idea. It made you look slightly tired and nervous, imo. However, I did start listening more to the content than getting distracted by your smiley face and forgetting the content. Haha! I guess you do have a point as to why you did not smile but my point is, do not force it or make it look contrived. Be natural, it will be more persuasive.

    Otherwise slides were perfect and your content was great! I loved (X10) the entire presentation though I was too nervous for my own to fully appreciate it at that point. Your presentation exuded professionalism and I think you guys are more than ready for the corporate world judging by the presentation alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey babe! I thought u were superb when u were presenting! U had the most confidence and u had good use of facial expressions as well.... I thought that the confidence u showed was amzing and u could really attract and retain the attention of everyone when u presented! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jivs, you have a good point there, it is all about the balance between looking serious and being natural. Shall practice more in front of the mirror, hehe! But thanks for the other (very generous) comments you'll too. :)

    ReplyDelete