Sunday, February 21, 2010

Job Cover letter Draft 2

February 21, 2010

(Name of recipient)

(Designation)

(Company)


Dear (Name),

It is with keen interest that I write this in response to the BIP advertisement placed on The Straits Times. Kindly give me this opportunity to describe myself and my interest in this position.

I will be graduating in June of 2010 from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelors Degree in Bioengineering (Honors). During the course of my degree, I have gained many skills, theoretical and practical, relevant to the position I am applying for. My Honor’s Dissertation provided me with vast experience in cell culturing, staining and imaging. I also gained great insight on the operation of FACS, Confocal and Fluorescence Microscope and the synthesis of PDMS. This project showed me the importance of patience, perseverance and, most importantly, the significance of honesty and transparency in expediting the progress of research.

As an intern, with Applied Biosystems Asia Pte Ltd in 2008, I had to independently conduct the ‘Verification and Validation’ (V&V) of their Polymer Chain Reaction (PCR) machines. This deepened my understanding on V&V and broadened my knowledge on PCR process, the dyes used and the mechanism of the machines. I have also had the humbling experience of working as a Customer Service Officer for the CPF Board in 2006. I was able to polish my interpersonal communication skills by interacting with people from diverse socio-economic background. I also showed initiative in proposing specific policy revision, based on customer feedback. Consequently, in recognition of my competency, I was given the added responsibility of training new staff.

New and challenging activities have always enticed me. I joined NUS Capoeira Club to train my mental and physical endurance and to widen my cultural knowledge. As the Welfare Head of NUS Capoeira, I organize various bonding sessions. I was also passionately active in ‘Students Against the Violation of Earth (SAVE)’. From organizing various events, including Green Carnival, I was part of the campaigning, marketing and logistic committee and was chosen to be the Master of Ceremony on several occasions. Despite being just a SAVE member, I was awarded the prestigious NUS Student Achievement Award ‘09. This, to me, is a testimony to my hard work, dedication and commitment towards any project. I was also the Costume Designer of Yatra, a fund raising Indian Musical event. The daunting task of working on a shoe string budget with no prior experience was challenging and exciting. My determination and hard work paid off when I was awarded another prestigious NUS Student Achievement Award ’09 for Yatra. In 2005, I was the Vice President of Science Society during which I honed my leadership skills. I also got to co-chair SCIesta, a day-long camp involving for 150 students. These experiences trained me to multi-task, co-ordinate and lead.

I am a hard working, sincere and dedicated individual with the desire and the attitude to learn quickly. While, I can be a team player, motivating my peers towards a common goal, I also have the confidence to work independently. And I am sincerely interested in this internship program as the practical skills mentioned in the advertisement are relevant and appealing. As holistic as the NUS Bioengineering program may be, it falls shy in providing students certain areas of knowledge and experience; knowledge and skills that this internship program will provide.

If I have not convinced you enough on my desire or worth of taking up this internship, kindly grant me the opportunity to discuss this with you. My contact details are listed below. I look forward to hearing a positive reply from you.

Warm Regards,

Lalitha Lakshmi Ramkumr

Block ###, ##-###,

@$%$@ ##, S(#####)

Email: @#%*%#@gmail.com

HP: +65-#####

No comments:

Post a Comment